© Copyright Dodge County Independent 2014
507-634-7503 - 105 1st Ave NW - Kasson, MN - firstname.lastname@example.org
February 12, 2014
K-M School District referendum on the horizon?
Late last fall the Morris Leatherman Company conducted a survey for the K-M School District to find the pulse of what residents thought about specific facility needs. There were 400 district residents surveyed by phone and it took residents an average of 17 minutes to answer questions that opened with background information and then went into detail on district needs.
Monday night Bill Morris from Morris Leatherman presented results of that survey to the school board and others attending the regular meeting. “This was one of the strongest surveys we have seen in some time,” said Morris. He referred to “strong” as the quality of answers to questions by a majority of residents who indicated they would be willing to support a referendum of around $39 million to make improvements to the high school and elementary.
Of the 400 respondents 62% said they could be persuaded to support a tax increase for school district improvements. Those supporting a tax increase were at 21%, which Morris said is about 10 percentage points higher than the norm. The 17% against any tax increase is 14 points lower than the norm.
For funding a bond referendum 24% said they would not support a referendum. There were 12% who could support an increase of $4 a month, 22% an $8 per month increase, 15% $12 a month and 18% a $16 increase per month or more. The average acceptable increase ranged from $8.43 to $11.46 per month.
What did residents think about the idea of improvements? There were 58% who thought it was a very good idea and 17% felt it was a good idea/strongly. Morris said the total of the two, 75%, is a very good show of support for school district improvements. Those who thought it was a bad idea were 13% and 7% believed improvements to be a bad idea/strongly.
When asked if $39 million was a fair price for a bond issue 45% said yes and 38% were no. Another 17% were unsure. Morris said the unsure ...PURCHASE THE DCI TODAY TO READ THE COMPLETE ARTICLE.